Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Happy New Year

The start of the new year according to the Hindu calendar. In fact based on this calendar we are actually starting the year 2062. Apparently we are running ahead of the rest of the world. Thankfully in normal life we use the Gregorian calendar, other wise we would be really confused.

This time last year…

We didn’t go for the usual family get-together at mom’s relatives’ house because my grandfather had passed away only a few months before and technically my family was still in mourning.

But on the upside, my fiancé was here on leave, so I spent most of the day with him. There were more fire crackers in the evening and a good time spent with friends. All in all a nice lazy holiday.

And this year…

The usual family get-together is going to be tomorrow. It’s really odd this counting of dates thing. My mom and her family are Jains and they are celebrating the New Year tomorrow. The Hindus on the other hand are celebrating it today. I have no issues, since this way I get 2 new years (dad and his family are Sindhis; so technically Hindus).

My dad’s mother was leaving this evening to go visit her sisters in Bombay, we spent most of the day with her. Went out for a nice lunch the four of us, then I took my mom out shopping. Later I dropped my grandmother off and came home.

One of my closest friends, Chandani, had dropped in to pay her respects to my parents. During this festival it is customary for people to go and visit elder relatives and parents of close friends. We tend to go and ‘touch their feet’, a gesture that is made to ask for their blessings.

Chandani also brought her son along. His name is Jehan and he is the one who calls me Kaaguma. She brings him to touch my parent’s and my feet. It is really an odd feeling to have someone do that to you the first few times. And since he is the only one who does it to me, I am not getting used to it (makes me feel old :-) ).


Jehan with my parents, who he calls nani and nan

Those being asked for blessings tend to give the younger ones a small token (either a gift or money) as a part of their blessings.

After this mom, dad and I went to my maternal grandmother’s house to have dinner with her and my mom’s brother, his wife and daughter. Dinner was delicious and I over ate as usual. Now I am ready to drop off… It would be nice to catch up on some sleep.

So goodnight all and I wish you a wonderful new year.

No comments: