Thursday, November 03, 2005

Bhai Beej and the Jain New Year

Happy new year once again! And a Happy Bhai Beej… 2 celebrations in one…

This time last year…

I dropped my fiancé at the train station and rushed home to get the prayer thali ready for my brothers who would be coming home to meet me.

None of these boys are related to me by blood, but I have tied them rakhis (I’ll explain this one soon) for many years and they are closer than any blood brothers can be.

First came Amit and he brought his lovely fiancé, Jyoti with him. And then came Jigesh. I applied the vermillion tika on their heads and the rice grains. Then I did the arti (saying prayers while circulating the sacred flame) and fed them some prasad.

I spent most of the day with Jigesh.

And this year…

Since the Jains celebrate their new year today, my mom’s family had a get-together. So my parents and I went there in the morning and met the whole family.

After which I went out for lunch with my friends and then called on some people – parents of my closest friends.

For some reason or the other, I couldn’t meet any of my brothers this time on this day. I really missed them. Especially Jigesh, this festival hasn’t felt complete without him.


Jigesh & Me a few Diwalis ago

I am ending this evening by having dinner with mum and dad, and then maybe I’ll watch a movie.

The day after today me and some friends are off on a mini vacation. Ok an overnight trip really… but it should be fun to get out of the city. It’s a place called Sayla where we will be staying at a heritage property. The driving time from Ahmedabad to Sayla is less than 2 hours.


Map courtesy www.answers.com

Pictures and update on that when I get back to work on Monday. Till then… adios amigos…

1 comment:

bilbo said...

nice pic of u and your bro and I almost did a double take on the name. jigesh reminded me of jignesh from salam namaste. and yeah , if you havent seen it yet, dont ! :P