Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Happy Diwali!

The day we have all been waiting for is here. Bringing with it all the traditions, customs and rituals that go with it.

This time last year…

A mad rush in the morning to get dressed in time and leave for the office, where prayers will be conducted at the account books for a year of good fortune.

After the prayers in the office, lunch at a family friends house, where we have been going for years now. Then back home to enjoy day 1 of the 5 day vacation that is going to follow.

In the evening after lighting all the lamps, we go off to my grand mother’s house for the evening prayers. Dinner is as usual a family affair and after dinner I join my friends wherever they are to burst fire crackers.

And this year…

It was the same mad rush this morning. The whole family got dressed and went to the office for the prayers. Our entire staff had gathered there.

A picture of our Gods and Goddesses was placed with flowers around it. Sugar cane stalks with leaves were placed on the left side and without leaves in front of the picture. 7 clay lamps and incense were lit. I applied the traditional tika and rice to the Gods and then put an offering of sweet and some more flowers. This ritual was repeated by Kanika – daughter my father’s partner in the business.


Me & Kanika performing the rituals and prayers

This was followed by the ritual opening of the new account books. Where we write the ‘shri savaa’ and make a swastika and 5 tikas. Then a small prayer is written at the bottom.


Opening the new account books

After the prayers, I applied the traditional tika on every one’s forehead and then did the same with all the computers in the office. It seems funny to do that, but you would be surprised how many people do it. Now a days nearly all business is done on a computer. It makes sense including it in your prayers.


Staff & Family members who were present

On behalf of the business sweets are given to everyone and after a few laughs and lots of good wishes, we all left. As always we went to the same family friend’s house for lunch. And as usual they had laid out a feast.

We all ate tons and then came back home more asleep than awake.

I spent the afternoon making a new rangoli. For some reason this time I can’t seem to get beyond simple designs. When I compare them to the stuff I have done over the years, I am not too happy. But everyone at home likes them, so how can I argue.



My grandmother had the prayers in the evening. Dinner was with the family. This time I wasn’t going to join my friends later, so I was standing out in the balcony watching the fire crackers light up the sky.


The view from my balcony of the fire crackers

They have now been going on for hours. The smoke is getting too much for me so I am now inside in the comfort of an air conditioned room

Another Diwali has come and gone… I hope the new year brings good fortune too everyone I know…

Happy Diwali everyone… Goodnight.

No comments: