Sunday, October 30, 2005

Dhanteras

Finally, the festival of Diwali is upon us. Today marks the beginning of the rituals and festivities.

This time last year…

Today has been crazy. I needed to make the rangoli. Make sure the clay lamps are filled. I wanted to get things out of the way before the auspicious time for the prayers began. I also needed to buy some silver within a specific time period. I got a 10 gram coin with Goddess Laxmi (our Goddess of Wealth) on it.

I decided on the more abstract of the Ganeshes for my rangoli. Gave it a frame and a background, then placed small mirrors around it. Here is what it turned out looking like. I am really happy, though simple this has been one the best I have ever made.

Now to light the candles and then do the prayers. Then I will spend the rest of the evening in the company of my friends.

And this year…

Oh My God! I have been running around the whole day trying to get things done in time. Why do I always leave things for the last minute? As mom says “We do this every year, but we never learn. :-)”

I had to finally settle with buying clay lamps and putting candles in them. I also got some string lights for the doorway and the balcony parapet.

Mom decided that she does want to have the prayer ritual in the new house. So we needed to get some stuff for that, and prepare the puja thali.

This time I decided not to buy a silver coin. Instead I got a silver lota (one of the vessels used in the prayers).

After doing all that at about 6:00 PM I settled down to make the rangoli. I didn’t find a design that I liked enough to make, so I had to come up with it myself. It was going to be a mango in a square.

Halfway through I had to stop to go up to the new house for the prayers. It was a pleasure to share this evening with some dear friends of our family. Thank you Manjit Aunty and Inderjit for being a part of our first prayers in the new house!

Here is how the prayer rituals went. In a platter we place statues / silver or gold coins of our Gods. Mom and dad put their wedding rings, I put my engagement ring. Similarly everyone else present also put something to signify their own wealth.

Under these, I made the swastika symbol, then placed diyas to the left and right of it and one in the center. Incense is also burnt.

All the Gods and jewelry were first washed with a liquid which is a combination of 5 things called the panchamrut – ghee, dahi, milk, honey and sugar. Then the same thing was done with water. A tika was applied to them all, first the red Kanku and then rice. A sweet offering was made and then flowers placed and lastly the prayers said.


Dad following the rituals while mom guides him & my grandmom praying

This ritual was done individually by everyone present. And to end it the whole platter is taken around the house to spread the blessings.

Having done this, I came back down. While the rest of my family and our friends sat down to play a game of deadly (rummy without jokers), I finished the rangoli and then joined them.

Dinner is done, aunty has left to go home. Inderjit and I are waiting for the rest of our gang to land up. We are going to head up to the roof terrace of the new house and chill for a while.

Goodnight!

2 comments:

inmyeye said...

ssm... thanks so much... will try and load up larger pics over the holidays....

thanks also for the word verification tip... i have put it in...

a very happy new year from me and beach... do keep coming back for more updates...

cheers, ime

bottled-imp said...

hey ime, liked ur ganesh rangoli very much. also the way it was lit. brilliant. anyway hope you had a nice diwali