Friday, October 28, 2005

The countdown has begun

Theatrics aside, there are two days left for Dhanteras. Two days for the beginning of the celebrations / rituals / customs / the works.

This time last year…

The diyas (clay lamps) were extracted a few days ago, from an odd box in the cellar and soaked in water. This in the hope of getting rid of last year’s soot and oil remnants. Getting them clean and usable for this year.

With just 2 days to go, I must get the lamps out of the water, so they can bake and dry in the sun till the evening of Dhanteras when they will be first used.

The wicks have been bought and made ready. The oil has also been bought, only a few liters for the moment. I know I will have to replenish it in a few days. I have also got my rangoli colors. I will have to replenish these as well, depending on what I make and what size it gets to.

Speaking of which, it is high time I figure out what I want to make. Should I start this year with some abstract art? Or should I make a Ganesh? I love making Ganeshes because it is so traditional and fits with the occasion. But it is a difficult form to follow. Maybe an abstract Ganesh would be best.


I made a rainbow with a pot of gold one year

I will look for a few nice designs on the internet. Let’ see what I find. Another place to look for inspiration is last year’s Diwali cards, and wedding invitations. In trying to outdo themselves and each other people use the most interesting artwork for cards.

Later tonight I will check to see if my rope lights are working and also see where I can string them up.

And this year…

I have ordered some glasses in which I will pour colored water till halfway and then top it with a thick layer of oil. The wicks that will be used in these are called boyas. They are made of very thin bamboo with a tuft of cotton. The bamboo portion floats on the oil, while the cotton absorbs the oil from the bottom and burns on the top.

I am getting these for my grandmother’s house. That’s where we are staying while waiting for our house to get done. My grandmother lives in an apartment 2 floors below our new place. Unfortunately, clay lamps can’t be used, because the breeze on the 8th floor will blow them out in no time. The glass lamps will have the flame a little below the rim, so it will be protected.

I am also thinking of what I will do for the rangoli. Placing the colored powder on marble flooring is a thankless task. It keeps bouncing of, not letting me create a clean form. Maybe it is time to get innovative. I could paint on the floor with water soluble colors, but somehow it’s not the same.

Till tomorrow… adios

3 comments:

bilbo said...

hmmmm , seems like I share some of your diwali memories. diyas check. rangoli check, and the fancy candles check . the bamboo wick is a new one. do share. now what else is there. oh yeah forgot the sting lights. now mind you these are spread out over the years and are not are part of one complete package, but fit in their own special way to form the kelaidoscope of my memories. thanks for the remider bud.
oh, as to finding your blog, I subscribed to it :)

inmyeye said...

lots more reminders coming your way... every day in bits and pieces...

subscribed to my blog? wow, didn't know u cld do that.. please share how... and thanks :-) it's such a compliment...

like i said before...a doll!

bilbo said...

okie dokie, will share
when u visit any of my blog, you can see a small box below the archives section. its for subscribing to my blog. you can click on that, create an account at blogarithm and then enter urls of all the blogs you visit. that way , when any of them get updated, u get an email. now wasn't that easy. Have fun and take care. looking fwds to more reminders :)