Saturday, January 14, 2006

Makar Sankranti

This is a harvest festival celebrated on the 14th of January across the country. The names vary as do some of the ways of celebrating it.

Translated Makar is ‘Capricorn’ (as in the Zodiac sign) and Sankranti means ‘to change direction’. Put together the name of this festival denotes the transition of the sun into Capricorn. It is an auspicious time for us and also a time for great celebrations.

In Gujarat this day is called Uttrayan and is celebrated as the Kite Flying festival.

From the morning everyone climbs to their roof top terraces and the skies are covered with colorful kites. Music blasts from speakers all over and competition is fierce.

I am not a kite flyer myself, but I love going to my friends’ houses to share in the merriment. For many years’ friends living in the same colony as me used to host this day as an annual event. Sadly they shifted away, and that tradition came to an end.

Then I discovered that another friend, Inderjit, and his family also host this day as an annual event and I have been going there ever since. Being a Sikh family, they always have the most outstanding biryani for lunch. Before that there are snacks and punch and then fudge for dessert. They haven’t tried to change the menu for as long as I remember and thank god for that.

We hang around there for most of the day, going home only to crash out in the late afternoon.

The evening is another tale…

No comments: